Can you tie into electric hot water?

Solar Domestic Hot Water and Solar hot water heating for homes and pools
Battery Direct

Can you tie into electric hot water?

Postby Battery Direct » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:46 am

I was wondering if you can tie a Solar hot water system into a electric hot water system?

It's Not What You Buy, It's What You Build

Battery Direct Moncton
1-888-267-4687
www.batterydirect.com

Conundrum
Site Admin

Re: Can you tie into electric hot water?

Postby Conundrum » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:34 pm

The short answer is yes. There are 2 typical scenarios for household hot water.

The first requires the purchase of a thermal transfer hot water heater. This device has a coil of copper pipe inside a normal hot water heater and directly replaces the current heater. It has elements (AC or DC) that heat the water when the solar doesn't bring it to the correct temperature. The solar hot water heater passes the hot fluid from the solar collectors (Usually a glycol for anti-freeze) through the copper pipe. This transfers the heat from the glycol to the water. The cooled glycol is returned to the collector to be re-heated and the process continues.

The second method is to obtain a tank that is similar to the one above but it doesn't have the electric elements. This setut relies on the solar array to heat the water entirely. The water is then passed through an on-demand hot water heater before it is used by the house. The on-demand is a high draw electric heater that heats water as it is passed through it. This system is only employed in high volume applications typically. It works reasonably well for residential though because the on-demand heater only comes on when the water from the solar tank isn't up to temperature.

There is one other application that I should also mention. For camps and cottages, there is a system that is a non-pressurized solar tank that sits on the roof. It is 100% solar and can provide hot water in areas without any electricity (Although I suggest a small solar-powered pump to fill it). These consist of a set of collectors and a tank that provide gravity fed hot water to the camp for washing etc. The have a 30 gallon storage capacity.

The solar hot water systems we have typically can heat water in outside temperatures of down to -40.

rosebud

Postby rosebud » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:26 am

Just joined the forum....

I have been playing with solar hot water for about 2 years and it works for me.

This is a link which describes my adventures:

http://sunenr.homedns.org/cgi-bin/tempsensor.pl

regards,
steve

Conundrum
Site Admin

Postby Conundrum » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:19 pm

Greetings rosebud,

Nice clear site you have there. Where are you from?

I noticed you have your temps and electrical usage graphed. What are you using for your data collection?

rosebud

Postby rosebud » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:35 pm

Hi,

I am in the Saint John area.

I am using Linux, with a Digitemp one-wire setup. The graphs are compliments of RRDtool. The power monitor is a Currencost meter, all feeding into the linux box. The linux is open source, free, but not totaly easy. I have a lot to do to make the web page more presentable, but hate to miss these nice sunny days.

Is this a local forum? I see comments re NBPower...

high on the learning curve
steve

Conundrum
Site Admin

Postby Conundrum » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:45 pm

Actually it is a forum out of Moncton but we seem to have adventures all over the Maritimes these days.

I use Linux alot myself actually. The phone system for Unplugged is hosted on a Linux box, as is the firewall and a few other boxes here. I sill use windoze for some things, but because we work closely with DarkSide Technologies, they do tech support on all sorts of OS configurations so its hard not so see alot of options.

The digitemp stuff is interesting. I am working on a weather station prototype that uses a 1 wire bus for humidity, air pressure, temp and a few other things. I have a small serial setup for wind speed but we are pretty much scrapping that idea I think.

Trigue

Can you tie into electric hot water

Postby Trigue » Tue May 16, 2017 3:33 am

There are a lot of passive solar options you can add to your building plans that will help keep that meter from spinning quite as much. A heat source that doesn't require electricity to work is always a good idea. Even better if you can cook that way in an emergency.

http://gid-avto.com/

Return to “Solar Hot Water”