Solar hot water - How much will it cost?

Solar Domestic Hot Water and Solar hot water heating for homes and pools
Mail Bag

Re: Solar hot water - How much will it cost?

Postby Mail Bag » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:47 pm

how thick are the tubes would it make any difference to mount them under the plastic roof ,, in fact i was thinking of putting some greenhouse plastic inside to make it warmer .. how long are the tubes and how wide is the complete panel .. my patio is about 30' long and 10 ' wide the roof panels are 12'.. Its not shaded in winter with the leaves off the trees

Conundrum
Site Admin

Postby Conundrum » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:54 pm

Mounting them under the plastic would probably reduce their efficiency by around 80%. I wouldn't recommend it. Why wouldn't you want to mount them on the outside on the roof?

The array is 79"x10" for an array of 20. Normally they are mounted on a rack that sits about 10" off the roof. The tubes are about 3" diameter and with the header they come in at about 5" total. You could put more than one array on the roof if you wanted to, but for a 2 person system you only need 1 array of 20.

Mail Bag

Postby Mail Bag » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:20 am

so under the roof is out of the question so how much is the array? does it come as a kit you have to put together or do all the parts come priced separately tubes connectors and mounting gear etc

thanks

Conundrum
Site Admin

Postby Conundrum » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:24 am

The array is available by itself. The mounting hardware isn't included in any case because it varies with style of roof. It is a fairly simple mounting setup. The array mounts on L brackets. I will have pictures available soon to show exactly how it works, but the basics are this.

The array is on 1.5" aluminum rails. They mount to 4" L brackets. The L brackets mount to another set of 1.5" rails that act as a mating strip so that a 6" L bracket can be used to secure the array to the rafters. That way, the spacing of the rafters does not affect the placement of the array.

The L brackets and mating strip are not included. They will cost $60 per array. The array comes in a kit, but the header, tubes, cups and frame are available by themselves. Is there any reason you would only want part of the array? They aren't much use as single parts.

Mail Bag

Postby Mail Bag » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:25 pm

well i figured i could put it together myself and set it up and get some solar heat out of it i'd like to see the pictures

Conundrum
Site Admin

Postby Conundrum » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:31 pm

The pictures will be along on Monday I hope. I have alot of work to do this weekend putting the system back on my house. We had to replace the shingles so I took the array down. If the weather holds I plan to fill it again tomorrow.

Some time next week you could probably drop in and take a look at it if you like. That would probably give you a better idea of how the system works.

I have no problem selling the kit in parts, but you really need a pump station and controller to make it work properly, along with the tank. The parts themselves need to work together. For example, the controller makes sure that the glycol in the system doesn't circulate when the header isn't warm enough to provide heat. That keeps it from running all night.

If you are looking to do something on the cheap, I have some solar arrays of 15 tubes that I can give you a better deal on. There are some parts you will need to make yourself. We had a theft a few weeks ago and they stole the aluminum frames from me for a bunch of the 15 tube and 1 20 tube system. I am willing to sell them cheaper to get rid of them. The important part that is missing is the bottom bracket that holds the cups in place. The cups are plastic holders that hold the glass tubes and keep them in place. I have designed a replacement and I have made a few to replace the ones that were stolen but its a bit of work. I would be willing to sell the arrays at a discount and provide drawings and measurements to replicate the missing pieces. I can also get the aluminum rack pieces at a wholesale price. Same warranty applies, etc.

ashley1

Postby ashley1 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:00 am

Yeah I agree that patio roof is the best option.

Return to “Solar Hot Water”