Are solar panels efficient in winter?

Discussions of photovolactic projects
bella915

Are solar panels efficient in winter?

Postby bella915 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:39 am

I live in Lake Tahoe, CA, and I'm thinking about installing solar panels. Winter concerns me. How does snow and decreased daylight hours affect the efficiency of solar panels? I don't want to install the panels if they will be problematic in winter.

Any input would be appreciated.

Conundrum
Site Admin

Re: Are solar panels efficient in winter?

Postby Conundrum » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:59 pm

Well, honestly as a guy who lives on the east coast of Canada, I can say that my panels work reasonably well in winter.

Having said that, it really does depend on the area. It is also important to adjust your panels in the winter to a higher angle to maximize the sun's available power.

I would also recommend washing the panels from time to time, usually in the fall and spring, just to remove any dust that has built up that may effect the power output. I suggest F21 automotive car wash, available from Walmart and others here: http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-T-146R-F21-Wash/dp/B0009JKGGU This is a product that will clean the panels as well as add a slippery coating to them to encourage snow and ice to slide off. We use the upholstery version of this product on our wind turbine blades to prevent ice buildup. In most cases you can use a pressure washer and wash the panels from the ground. Please be careful, as it leaves the roof slippery as well.

Trigue

Are solar panels efficient in winter

Postby Trigue » Mon May 15, 2017 11:26 pm

Solar panels have a limited life also. You may find yourself having to replace them right about the time they finally pay for themselves.

http://remontbosch.moscow

Return to “Solar Electrical Power”