Battery Life Expectancy

Questions and comments pertaining to battery systems, maintenance and installation
Pennywire

Battery Life Expectancy

Postby Pennywire » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:43 pm

I've discovered that a lot of people who are new to renewable energy setups underestimate their battery needs and end up going through batteries quite often. Something to consider is that a battery bank should always be significantly more than my actual consumption. On the low end I'd want it to be at least 3x more than you use for power, but to get the longest life out of my batteries I should have 5x my power consumption or better. This would let me cover any extra usage without pulling more power than my batteries can safely discharge and help me get the longest possible lifespan out of my battery bank.

Does anyone have tips on storage for batteries as well to extend their life? I'm considering a wooden box but I don't know about insulation to prevent cold from sapping my stored power.

Conundrum
Site Admin

Re: Battery Life Expectancy

Postby Conundrum » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:08 am

The absolute best box is a non-functioning freezer, if you intend to put them outside. You will need to vent the container, but this gives you a insulated environment to keep the batteries away from the elements.

As most of you know, for bigger systems I recommend using a 'battery house' to house your electronics. This usually consists of a small garden shed that is capable of housing the batteries and charge controllers in separate sections.

Remember, a charging flooded lead acid battery gives off gasses that are EXPLOSIVE and CORROSIVE.

Isn't that right Jacques?
8-)

Beardo McShorts

Postby Beardo McShorts » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:13 pm

Hehe.... thats a poke.

I'm not sure why he didn't reply, but personally I think he looks better without the eyebrows. It matches his receding hair. :)
Last edited by Beardo McShorts on Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Opinions expressed are my own. You can't have them. Go get your own damn opinions.

Off Grid With:
Solar: 6x 235W Mono (1410 Watts)
Charge Controller: 60A CAP
Turbine: UP2KA 2000W
Inverter: 1x 3000W Charging Inverter
Batteries: 12x Trojan L16

Rusty Sprockets

Postby Rusty Sprockets » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:43 am

My batteries are 8 years old (Trojan L16's - set of 12) and are still holding at about 80% of their capacity. That being said, I know others who have only gotten 5 years out of theirs. The secret to battery life is ONLY feeding them with distilled water and always keeping them corrosion free. The moisture in the air will cause them to oxidize and when that happens they 'grow' corrosion around the terminals. This can lead to a higher than normal resistance in the terminal, and therefore lower charging and an imbalance across the strings. I have a 24V system so it is 3 strings of 4 (6v per battery). In total they are 400aH per string so it gives me just under 1200ah for the whole bank, after the efficiency issues I'm having due to age. Hmm, I guess we all have those 'issues' don't we?

For any newcomers, that means I have about 4 days of storage available, or about 14,400 Watt-hours available on my DC side. Its plenty for me and the wife.

Return to “Batteries and Battery Systems”